As we round the corner into 2021, the spotlight continues to be on health and healthcare. We know that a healthy diet, physical exercise, and routine check-ups can keep us in tip-top shape, but what if you aren’t able to access these essential wellness tools? This year has shown us repeatedly that we must do better. This has led us to the realization that we must begin with social determinants of health.
What are social determinants of health?
Social determinants of health (SDOH) are the non-medical factors of healthcare that account for up to 80 percent of health outcomes. Factors such as whether someone has transportation to pick up medication or regular access to healthy food can have a profound effect on a patient’s ability to follow treatment plans and avoid costly readmissions.
What is the SDAA?
The Social Determinants Accelerator Act (SDAA) will help states and communities devise strategies to better leverage existing programs and authorities to improve the health and well-being of those participating in Medicaid.
The SDAA provides for the following:
How can my healthcare company be a part of the change?
- Review your language access program for language gaps. If you’re not sure how to review your plan, take our audit for payers or providers.
- Use Direct Connect. Direct Connect provides patients direct access to interpreters and then connects them to their healthcare providers. You can go further by adding bi-lingual care coordinators.
- Use care liaisons over standard interpreting models. Our clients’ patients appreciate this model because they are able to connect with the same interpreter each time they call.
- Consider getting an NCQA Distinction in Multicultural Health Care. NCQA evaluates how well an organization complies with standards for
- Collecting race/ethnicity and language data
- Providing language assistance
- Cultural responsiveness
- Quality improvement of CLAS
- Reduction of health care disparities
The language professionals and United Language Group are here to answer your questions. To learn more about language solutions, visit our blog!